Friday, February 23, 2007

Self Hate, Ranting, and Pecan Pie

I never realized how many self hating Mississippians there are in Mississippi until I moved to Jackson. These are the people who go around decrying everything and every decision that is made in Mississippi. These are the people who feel that they have to shout as loud as they can about the most controversial issue they can get their hands on and then denigrate whatever they can find about Mississippi. There are alot of fucking problems here, everyone knows that. You know what? There are alot of fucking problems every where you go. We're the fattest state, highest infant mortality, lowest cigarette tax, the flag issue, meth and the list goes on. Sure, I'm not a dumbass. I recognize these problems, but I know that these problems exist in other places in one form or another. I want to hear the goddamn balance, though. We are the most giving state per capita, we are the most hospitable, Mississippi produces great athletes, great scholars and writers and we have better weather than most of this fucking country. Ok, that one is an incident of God, but I'm taking credit anyway. Back to my point. There are these people, who grew up here and dreamed soooooo hard of leaving, so they left and got their degrees and made their money and decided that they didn't want to be a little fish in a big pond, so they tucked their tails between their legs and scurried back to their safe, warm state. Once they got back, they found whatever soapbox they could, and shouted until their throats were sore, but not about anything good. And if it was about something good, it was because THEY did it. Well, I'm sick of it. I'm sick of people here just dogging this state, at the very worst, from within. This state has come a long way from being a completely rural and extremely poor place. Sure, alot of us are still poor here, but progress is happening. And one last thing, MY FUCKING NEIGHBORS NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP, I CAN'T THINK!!!! LOL. Ok, this was a pretty bad rant, but I'm just been hearing alot of people in this state about how bad shit is here, and how backwards we are, and how stupid we are, and I'm getting fed up. And now, for my finale, to all the people who are self hating Mississippians: "The greatest thing about Mississippi is that the roads are all open 24 hours a day and they all lead out."

No comments: