Friday, February 9, 2007

Its Not Going To Stop

When I was 18 I was getting ready to go to college. I am from a very small town, so I didn't have the money to go to Oxford, so I went to a Community College. Before I left, my aunt told me something I have always remembered. She told me that now that I was getting into college, no matter what I think, my life will begin speeding up. She told me that my life will get faster and faster and faster until it gets to the point where you don't know if you can hang on and that is the speed the rest of your life will be. Today, I reaffirmed that axiom. My aunt is one smart lady. No one really takes a hard look at how fast their life is going and I think that is why so many people are dysfunctional. I try to look at my life long and hard and calm down the areas where I can. Most of the time, everything just runs at that break neck speed, but what I can control, I act like a fucking dictator in controlling it. I don't like large groups of people, I cannot stand people lying or posturing themselves to be more than they are and I abhor music snobs. I also enjoy my solitude when I can get it. The world is so goddamn fast, these seem to be the bulk of the shit I can control. The best song that exemplifies what the speed of life is really like is Aimee Mann's "Its Not Going To Stop." Life doesn't stop.

No comments: