Friday, January 26, 2007

The Road to Kosciusko

Over the holidays I had to travel back up to north Mississippi to my ancestral lands to confer with my kinfolk and celebrate holiday fellowship. On the way up Highway 25 I noticed something. There are like 12 different exits to Kosciusko. For all you yankee bastards or out of towners that don't know your Mississippi towns, its pronounced, "Koz-ie-esk-oh." Now I've never been to this mighty metropolis, but I was stunned with the realization that 12 different roads lead off Highway 25 to this villiage. Was Kosciusko a grand city, a great center of learning in central Mississippi? Did Highway 25 rob Kosciusko of being the hub between points north and the Capitol? What happened to this city to garner this much attention at some point in its history? Now I'm intrigued. I'm going to have to make a trip there and see what Oprah sees in this place. More likely, I'll take a nap on my couch and forget that I posted this.

No comments: